Monday, May 15, 2006

One of my favorite cover versions of "Sittin' On Top Of The World" is played on an out-of-the-ordinary instrument by a wonderful musician and luthier. Ken Bloom is now a member of Mappamundi, a band that plays "traditional ethnic" music. He is a master of the zither and regular riders here on the Bus know how much I enjoy not-so-common instruments. In fact I own a zither like the one pictured here, but the sounds I manage to coax out of it are not fit for human ears. I have heard a fair number of zither players, but Ken Bloom is the only one I've ever heard use a slide.
This cut is from his self-titled album on Flying Fish Records, I believe it is now out-of-print.

Ken Bloom - Sittin' on Top of the World.mp3

6 Comments:

Anonymous Lucy said...

This is a pleasant version, but I think I prefer the lively rendition by The Seldom Scene.

May 16, 2006 8:04 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Stay tuned dear Lucy. I'm not done with this song yet.

May 16, 2006 9:20 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Hey Ed! Two great renditions of a great song. I trust you haven't forgotten my personal fave by Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys....

Still enjoying my almost daily rides on the Bus....

May 16, 2006 9:56 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Hi Greg - As the representative Okie on the bus, I had a suspicion you would ask about the Bob Wills' version.

I have been searching for my copy of the Texas Playboys' version all day. I had planned to post it this week, as the Bus takes a look at "Sittin' On Top Of The World".

I'm glad you still take time out to ride along with us. I read somewhere that you do your best writing on a bus.

btw - I really like the imagery and especially the thought provoking question of "Gentle". Very nice work.

May 16, 2006 8:51 PM  
Anonymous David Federman said...

Thanks for the many marvellous versions of "Sittin' on Top of the World." The 1930 recording sounds best to my ears, but they are all really fine. This is public service at its best.

May 17, 2006 10:33 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Thanks David. I have to agree, I like the Mississippi Sheiks version the best.

May 17, 2006 6:20 PM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home