Sunday, May 21, 2006

Bumin' Monday


Another Monday and back to work.

The weather has been beautiful. Everything is green and the wildflowers are starting to bloom. The rivers are full and rushing along their long journey to the sea. It's times like these that I wish I didn't have to get up and head off to the daily grind.

My grandfather had only two paintings in his house. Both were of hobos. One pictured a man sitting in the shade of a large tree along a river bank reading a book. The other was two fellows, their knapsacks on their shoulders, dancing in a lovely meadow while a third man plays his fiddle. My grandfather believed that those pictures represented how life should be lived, a celebration of simple pleasures. He lived his life by that philosophy and I believe he passed it on to me along with those paintings.

Fred Holstein, a legend of the Chicago folk scene, performed quite a few hobo songs in his time. Fred died January of 2004 at the age of 61.
This one is one of my favorites of his.

Fred Holstein - Hobo Songs.mp3

5 Comments:

Anonymous Lucy said...

I love this song!!!

May 22, 2006 7:52 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

That's no suprise to me Lucy. I've always figured you as the hopeful hobo type. We part-time hobos gotta take our escapes as we find 'em.

May 22, 2006 10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed you couldn’t have picked out a better song for the day.
Because I do have traveling on my mind

Joey

May 22, 2006 1:54 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

I know where your mind is Joey, rolling east to Alabama and the Mrs., no doubt.

We were very lucky to have been professional gypsies for so many years. I believe I have lived, worked, or loafed in damn near every part of this continent, and enjoyed my stay at each stop. I do miss the old blue bus and the friends, old and new, that would meet up at each jobsite.

May 22, 2006 3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your right about the looking east.
I have had a good time here in
Houston and have meet some good
people but it's time to go home
One good think is I can still get
on the bus back in Bama..

Joey

May 22, 2006 4:18 PM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home