Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Newport '63

Last week I posted a few cuts by Clarence "Tom" Ashley and mentioned how he introduced the world to Doc Watson. Ashley was making the circuit of folk music festivals. Along with him were Doc Watson, Fred Price, and Clint Howard. One of the monumental festivals of the era was the 1963 Newport Folk Festival. It was one of the major music festivals that exposed a new generation to traditional musical styles that had blended and shaped popular music.
I was just a young school kid at the time, but my Uncle Bill had this record spinning on his big old Magnavox Hi-Fi for months. I suppose it left an impression on me. Listening to this still thrills me. Classic performances here.

Ashley, Watson, Howard, Price - Maggie Walker Blues.mp3

Ashley, Watson, Howard, Price - 'way Downtown.mp3

4 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

I was hoping for Ashley to belt out another tune from the roof of the old Thomas. That bluesy, bawdy song about a farm girl you posted a day or two ago was right up my alley.

The only music I remember from '63 was the song the million mosquito choir hummed me to sleep with in the brief summer.

April 18, 2006 10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is Dang this is good

Joey

April 19, 2006 6:30 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Mr BNH - Even if your part of Alberta didn't have eclectricity, I'd bet you could pick up the CBC on one of those fancy transistors or at least crank up the ol' Victrola.

I've got a collection of bawdy blues songs that I'm assembling into an "Adults Only" post, I think you'll find them right up that dark alley you frequent.

April 19, 2006 10:36 PM  
Blogger Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

I checked with my mom. She says the only radio signal that reached the deepest, darkest part of Alberta we were in (Cold Lake) was the CBC. There were great parts of Canada similarly isolated in those days. A crystal radio may have picked up US stations when the weather was just right. The tv station, which brought us Hockey Night in Canada and the Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner show was mostly just electronic snow. The biggest cultural event to occur while Canada was preparing for the much anticipated war against our traditional enemy, Afghanistan, up there was a visit by Tommy Hunter. I have long believed the best decision my folks ever made was leaving the life of the Air Farce.

I delight in telling people how our phone hung on a wall in those days. It was operated by cranking the handle to catch the attention of a gum smacking operator who sat in front of a board she would patch one caller to another from. And it really was not all that long ago.

April 19, 2006 11:23 PM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home