Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Mid-week Autoharp

Ever since I started this daily rambling, I've spent an hour or two each evening selecting music, transferring from LPs or 78s, and writing something about the music. The other day I was wondering what I used to do before the cyber version of my Old Blue Bus. It occured to me that I haven't picked up an instrument in months!
Tonight I dusted off one of my Autoharps, tuned up and lost myself in the music for a while. Boy did it felt good! With summer just around the corner, I better practice a little more. Around our house we have a tradition of spending Sunday evenings on the back porch pickin' and relaxin' in the cool shade.
The Autoharp is an under-appreciated instrument. Only a few autoharp players are household names. Mother Maybelle and June Carter, Kilby Snow, John Sebastion, Dolly Parton, and Bryan Bowers are the names that are most often remembered. Its been a while since I've featured some Autoharp. I'm a little biased, but, to my ear, it is a beautiful instrument in the right hands.

The Stoneman Family - Blue Ridge Mountain Blues.mp3

David Holt (slide guitar) & Ron Wall (Autoharp) - Train That Carried My Girl.mp3

John Hollandsworth (Autoharp) & Sam Bush (mandolin) - Listen to the Mockingbird.mp3

The last two cuts are off the superb 3 CD collection "Autoharp Legacy". Buy it here!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed great way to do the middle of the week, Your right about the autoharp, that is one instrument
that I cant get enough of.

Joey

April 12, 2006 6:39 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

You're absolutely correct: wonderful instrument. Love the sound.

April 13, 2006 10:37 AM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home