Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Carrying it on

I have to say that I am pleased to see so many young folks interested in bluegrass and old-time music. As we've determined before, old-time music was called "old-time" music by the folks that recorded it in the early 1920s!

There is something to a musical style that can span nearly a century and still be popular. There is a growing number of younger bands performing some outstanding bluegrass and old-time style music nowadays. Cletus and the Burners, Foghorn, and the Dowden Sisters are just a few we've heard here on the Bus recently. These younger folks are writhing new songs and keeping the old-time style current, alive and vibrant. It is not a historical interest alone. The smooth, natural melodies and unadulterated instrumentation of the style speaks to them, and allows them to speak through the music and make it their own.

The Biscuit Burners are Shannon Whitworth (clawhammer banjo, guitar, vocals), Mary Lucey (bass, vocals), Bill Cardine (resphonic guitar, vocals), and Dan Bletz (guitar). (1-2-3-4, yep, got 'em all this time). They are based out of Asheville, North Carolina, which seems to be having a revival of interest in mountain music styles for the past few years. Only one year after they formed as a band and released their first CD, they have won the accolades of the bluegrass community. Their first CD Fiery Moutnain Music was chosen as one of the Top Ten Bluegrass Albums of 2004 by the Chicago Tribune, and their song "Come On Darlin" was chosen as the IPOD Hot Pick Bluegrass Song of the Year. Their songs, all original compositions, are so well crafted that they sound like old favorites. One day they may be.

Biscuit Burners - Once Upon a Time.mp3

Biscuit Burners - Red Mountain Wine.mp3

Biscuit Burners - If I Fall.mp3

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this bunch they have a great sound and they even sing about the right mountains.
Once Upon a Time just good to listen to gets one foot to a tapping
Red Mountain Wine will get both feet to moving
Good job Ed.

Joey

April 05, 2006 6:22 AM  
Anonymous Lucy said...

Yep, I like 'em too. I've got more than just feet movin' to these tunes.

Ed, I know you can count; I was just flashing back to the days it was my job to make you look good. Some habits are hard to break ;)

April 05, 2006 7:45 AM  
Blogger D L Ennis said...

Great blog you have here! If you get time check out the Blue Ridge Gazette. We are always looking for writers with a common intrest to join us! http://blueridgegazette.blogspot.com/

April 05, 2006 8:31 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Joey - Yep, these younguns got the right mountains and they get a whole lot more right. They are one talented bunch. Keep your eyes on them.

Lucy - I do appreciate your keeping me straight. I can use all the help I can get.

DL - Thanks for the kind words. I've never thought of myself as a writer. I did check out the blueridgegazette. I am impressed! I will be returning often. This silly little blog, and real life keep me pretty busy, but I would love to submit something to BRG.

April 05, 2006 9:51 PM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home