Sunday, March 12, 2006

What a weekend!

Boy, oh boy, what a weekend! The temperature reached above 90F (32C) with a gentle breeze. A perfect weekend for the canoe trip I had planned. Unfortunately, my first paddling trip of the year had to be postponed when my son told me his car has been overheating. I took a quick look and proclaimed he had a sticky thermostat. Easy fix and I'd be on the river by early afternoon.

One of the advantages of owning half a dozen old Volvos is that I buy my spare parts in bulk. I've got 4 spare thermostats on the shelf. As with most automotive jobs (especially those on cars nearly 4 decades old) you get the "yaoughtas" whenever you start a job. While you've got this apart ya oughta do that. We decided to flush the cooling system and replace all the hoses while we were at it. We had her all filled and buttoned up in about two beers time. We fired her up to check for leaks and admire our work when we noticed the oil leak. That was about the same time we heard the new coolant start to boil!

Yep, blown head gasket. Sunday we tore the engine down and I'll drop the head by the machine shop Monday.

As with most things I try to plan, the weekend wasn't quite what I had laid out. But good weather and helping my son with his first engine tear-down, well, it was a pretty good weekend after all.

Rollin' in the Hay - Catfish John.mp3

Scottsville Squirel Barkers - Swamp Root.mp3

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Ed it would have been great to float down a river but I am sure you had more fun doing what you were doing with
your son.. I spent mine looking thru pawn shops looking for a banjo for my son he wants to move to the next level
I found a old violin but no banjo yet I will keep on looking.
Oh yea good choice once again but that goes with out saying

Joey

March 13, 2006 8:17 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Thanks Joey. So, you say you are looking for a banjo? Pawn shops are usually my first choice. I found my daughter's viola at a pawn shop, it's got a wonderful sound and has given years of good service. Good luck with your search.
Did you notice I posted two Alabama bands for today? "Rollin' in the Hay" is from Birmingham.

March 13, 2006 8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didnt know they were from Alabama
but I will start looking for them
Joey

March 13, 2006 1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!

click here to make extra money

March 19, 2006 10:47 PM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home