Sunday, March 19, 2006

Greenin' up real good


Even though we've had a mild winter here in Virginia, for some reason, I am really looking forward to springtime this year.

This past weekend I turned my winter cover crop and a healthy layer of compost under in the gardens. The cold frame is set up and the wife has cole crops started underneath. We may be pushing it a bit, the weather service is calling for a cold snap later this week, but those little sprouts will be safe in their cold frame.

I even had a chance to clean out all the bugs and critters that have wintered over in our canoes and kayaks. When those spring rains get here, I'll be ready!

Now that all the outdoor stuff is taken care of, it's time to plan this years beers for summer. I'll be brewing all of my regular beers. The cream ale for early summer, a light honey wheat for those sweltering days, and of course, my famous WALSTIB herbal gruit for making music in the shade out back every weekend. Note to the local folks: I'm planning to make an extra ten gallons of WALSTIB, so we won't run out early this year.

Gardening, paddling, beer, music and good friends. Damn, I love the springtime!


Cheryl Wheeler - Spring.mp3

Dave Mallett - Greenin' Up.mp3

2 Comments:

Anonymous Lucy said...

Nice job, Ed. Two of my five favorite artists.

Yea, Sunday was a good day. I got to play in the garden and with the cows. We got a lot planted, then this morning I hear about the inch or two of wintery precipitation tonight & Tuesday morning... SHIT! I knew it was going to get colder and rain, but I wasn't expecting snow... SHIT! What the hell if need be we'll pull 'em up and try it again.

I've only had the 1st generation of WALSTIB and quite frankly Dear, it left something to be desired. Now I know you're on about the 5th or 6th revision on the recipe, so I'm looking forward to sampling some.

March 20, 2006 10:17 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Yep, the WALSTIB has come a long way in the past few years. It's still an aquired taste. I use three herbs to replace the hops. Two I grow myself and the third I have to collect from the marshes on the river.
As much as I love the taste of hops, they are the ingredient in beer that causes that "sleepy" feeling and morning after headache. Never had either from my WALSTIB.
I'm sure we'll share a few this summer.

March 20, 2006 10:31 AM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home