Thursday, March 09, 2006

An early taste of spring

The temperatures here in Virginia reached 80F today and are expected to stay there for the weekend. I've got a strong urge to slip a canoe into the river. The water is low, we haven't had any rain for a while now, but I know a few spots that hold enough water to float a canoe.

There is a park, just a few miles from my home, that sits on the cliffs overlooking the Appomattox River. If I put in here near home, it will take about 3 hours of leisurely paddling to get to the park. The photo above is of the signal tower used during the Civil War at Point of Rocks on the Appomattox. The spot where the tower stood is now thickly wooded and the land between the river and the road is home to a half dozen baseball diamonds. After my canoe trip, I'll sit on the cliffs where that tower could have stood and enjoy a couple of cold, well deserved beers and take in the now peaceful view of the river.

Ya'll have a good weekend!

Let's start the weekend with some bluegrass.
The Virginia Squires were a popular band during the 1980s. They were based out of Fredricksburg, Virginia and have now parted ways. Rickie Simpkins was a long time member of the "Tony Rice Unit", and has recently moved over to join the ranks of "Dave Parmley & Continental Divide". Ronnie Simpkins joined the "Seldom Scene" in 1995.

Virginia Squires - Longing For The Southland.mp3

Virginia Squires - Hooked On A Feeling.mp3


Shameless self-promotion:
Longtime riders on the Bus know that my wife and I used to own a music shop and produce concerts. We still have a lot of CDs and books that were not sold when we closed shop. Once in a while I post some of our remaining stock on ebay. I try to post 20 or 30 items each week. Bid early and bid often.
See my current listings here.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There you go Ed that would be a great way to spend some time floating down a river.
Good choice on the bluegrass but you know me you cant ever go wrong with that.
Have your self a good float

Joey

March 10, 2006 7:48 AM  
Anonymous Lucy said...

Good choice of tunes to start the weekend. I must say I prefer this rendition of “Hooked on a Feeling” to others I’ve heard; I always liked that song.

Happy paddlin'

March 10, 2006 9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ed,
Just found you a couple of months ago via Big Rock Candy Mountain. This is amazing stuff, and the kind of stuff that rocks my world! I really like the way you mix the old with the new. It's all about balance. We're starved for bluegrass up here in southern Ontario, Canada, and your blog sure helps us get through from one rare bluegrass event to another. Thanks again, Dan in Waterloo, Ontario

March 10, 2006 7:04 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Thanks for the kind words Dan. I welcome the feedback.

Don't despair, festival season is just around the corner.

March 11, 2006 8:23 AM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home