Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Accordions and beer


Whether it's cajun, blues, zydeco, conjunto, charmame, feita, polka,... Accordion music is just plain feel-good music.

I've featured a few different accordion-driven styles on the Bus before, but it seems I've neglected Polka. What better way to lift the spirits on hump-day?


Myron Floren was "the accordion man" on the Lawrence Welk TV Show. I was raised by my grandmother, The Lawrence Welk Show was a Sunday evening staple throughout my childhood.
Myron Floren - Accordion Man Polka.mp3

Joe Stanky and The Cadets hail from the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area of northeastern Pennsylvania. Different take on a classic song. This has something of a Norteno sound to it.
Joe Stanky and The Cadets - Sing Me Back Home.mp3

Jimmy Sturr, "the Polka King", has won 15 out of the past 20 Grammy awards for "Best Polka Album". No accordion, more in the Chicago-Honky style, but damn it's good!
Jimmy Sturr & His Orchestra - Carolina Polka.mp3

That ought to get your feet movin'!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Lucy said...

A little known fact about me... I love polka. I tried teaching my husband to polka (one would think a man from German stock would already know how) once at Oktoberfest, that was one painful endeaver I'll never try again!

March 16, 2006 10:14 AM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home