Thursday, February 09, 2006

Like a fine bottle of wine...

Today, while sitting at work, I realized I had yet to turn my wall calendar. I flipped the page to February and reflected on the passing of time and how, as I've aged, I've become content with my lot in life. In fact, life has been good, and either I'm easier to please or my life is getting better as I mature. Oh, I've seen my share of hard times as I'm sure most of us have, but all told, I've really enjoyed my life. I'm looking forward to the next stages with anticipation. My wife and I have just a couple years more and we will be empty-nesters. I am looking forward to seeing our children off on their own and making their way in the world. They are starting on an exciting and sometimes scary journey. On the other hand, my responsibilities are less and my time is more and more my own. I'm looking forward to once again spending time alone with my wife, who after more than two decades and three children, is even more beautiful in my eyes than when we first met. The days of family vacations halfway across the continent to Grandma & Grandpa's are done.
I've come to appreciate the maturity, peace, and hopefully a little wisdom, that age has allowed me thus far. And I am looking forward to the next stage of this trip.

Stan Rogers - Lies
from Northwest Passage buy it here

Cheryl Wheeler - 75 Septembers
from Driving home buy it here

5 Comments:

Blogger Rob Hutten said...

Nice to hear some Stan Rogers here! I used to live "on the ridge above Acadia's town" about which he sings in Watching The Apples Grow.

Fans of Stan's music should check out Dan McKinnon...

February 10, 2006 8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed you must be reading my mind. Lately that is something that has been on my mind more and more, I have one that is just about to get out
of collage and one that will be out of high school next year. For us we both have been so evolved with the kids life from coaching little league
and dance and just all of the things that a lot a kids do. And as they have gotten older it's been hard to make the transition from the time they need
you for almost everything, to now all they need from you is money. And I am looking forward to having an empty nest so we can get to know each other
again like we once did. I think a good thing to do would be to get another camper and hit the road again just don't know that I could talk her into it.
It might still be fun to do some of the things that we use to do before kids came along.

Joey

February 10, 2006 8:28 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Hi Rob, Stan Rogers is required listening here on the 'Bus.

My wife and I were married in your current hometown, and spent that summer exploring all of N.S., partly due to Stan's music.

Thanks for the heads-up on Dan Mckinnon, I was not familliar. I like what I hear on his site. His voice evokes a cross between Rogers and James Keelaghan. Surely worth further listening.

February 10, 2006 8:30 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Joey - It's the next step my friend. You and your pretty redhead Mrs. will find ways to enjoy yourselves. Of that I am sure.

February 10, 2006 8:40 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

The trip stays as wondrous as your first steps.

February 11, 2006 12:18 PM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home