Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Another day in Virginia


I just couldn't resist another day of music from Virginia.

The Right Turn Clydes (that's them pictured above) aren't really from Virginia. They make their homes just across the border in Durham, North Carolina. But two of them are originally from the Richmond area, and the song I chose to post is titled "Going Back to Mechanicsville" (a suburb, east of Richmond). If you want to hear more of these fellas you can book them for your next party or catch one of their rare appearances at festivals in North Carolina. They haven't recorded anything besides a demo yet. But I have a feeling we'll be hearing more from the Right Turn Clydes in the future.

Right Turn Clydes - Mechanicsville.mp3
Please excuse the poor quality. This is a live recording the Clydes made at one of their shows.

The Hackensaw Boys are from Charlottesville, Virginia. They've made a name for themselves on the college circuit and have been touring North America and Europe for the past few years. They still play at the Blue Moon Diner in Charlottesville whenever they aren't on the road.

Hackensaw Boys - Alabama Shamrock.mp3

Just a note: I've been having some trouble with Blogger every night this week. I may have to keep Friday's post short (as if anyone would miss my rambling). I'll try to work out some of the bugs this weekend.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok Ed on our way out of Virginia
we need to stop back by the big
Island and break out the Uke's
again. What do you think.

Joey

February 16, 2006 10:22 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Ukuleles, you say?
You must have had your fill of winter, my friend. Do you think a musical taste of the islands and an umbrella drink will help what ails ya?
Myself, I’ve got hankerin’ for some polka and cheep beer.
Or maybe some conjunto and an oversized margarita!

I’ll throw some inspiration in the blender and we’ll see what happens.

February 16, 2006 11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like a plan.
Yes it is rough down here in
Texas I had to turn off the A/C
for a few hours a few day's ago

Joey

February 16, 2006 11:49 AM  
Anonymous nap said...

R.T.C.

Good stuff there, who cares about the quality!?

February 16, 2006 12:05 PM  
Blogger Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

I gave up pulling down the songs posted on your bus because blogger was slower than Moses in January.

I live so far away and your hunting-partner-shooting Uncle Sam would prefer it if I stay in Canada because of my freedom loving ways, so I cannot get to see Drive-By Trucker Jason Isbell's shows down your way. If you get the chance I doubt you would be disappointed. I gather he plays his brilliant slide guitar to small houses when he is out performing without his crack band.

Don't suppose you have any great slide playing you would like to entertain the troops with?

Does anybody play slide mandolin or fiddle?

February 16, 2006 10:44 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Mr. BNH - I had considered moving up your way or to Belize if our government got any stranger. Now I think I'll stick around just for the entertainment value.

As for "other instrument" slide, well there was a guy out of Chicago, Ken Bloom, who played a mean slide zither! I'll look into it and let you know...

February 17, 2006 12:26 PM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home