Thursday, January 12, 2006

Roadhouse Friday

It's Friday Again!
Whiskey glasses clink in a darkened, smoke-filled room. She struts across the stage to the microphone. In a flash the stage is flooded with white hot light as the band kicks into a driving blues beat.
Her voice is a cocktail of whiskey and honey. Lou Ann Barton has fronted Stevie Ray Vaughan and the Fabulous Thunderbirds, Room Full Of Blues, The Five Careless Lovers, and Lou Ann and The Fliptops. Following in the footsteps of a long line of great women blues artists, Lou Ann Barton is one of the few female artists performing pure, raw roadhouse blues nowadays. Marcia Ball and Angela Strehli are the only others that come to mind. To truly appreciate the power they have over an audience, you need to see any of these women belt out a song live.

Friday night, kids, and I plan on steppin' out.
Ya'll have a good weekend.

Lou Ann Barton - I'm Old Enough

Lou Ann Barton - Brand New Lover

Lou Ann Barton with Rockola & Stevie Ray Vaughan -Te-Ni-Nee-Ni-Nu

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of the three attractive ladies you mentioned, they are all showing their age. Ain't it grand that their, and all, music keeps its original beautiful forever. We still miss Stevie Ray verrrrry much after 15 years. Thanks for the Te-Ni-Nee...

January 13, 2006 12:48 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Showing their age? I like to believe that they, like me, are enjoying their age. Watching any of them perform, I'd have to say they are enjoying it as much as we do.

January 13, 2006 8:34 AM  
Anonymous nap said...

Lou Ann has been a favorite from the first time I had the chance to listen to her CD Old Enough. Also, give a listen to Dreams Come True with Lou Ann Barton, Marcia Ball and Angela Strehli, it’s a keeper. Thanks Ed for pointing that one out to me.

I’ll also put a shout out for Susan Tedeschi, the fan base keeps growing!

January 13, 2006 8:45 AM  
Anonymous nap said...

Lou Rawls, rest in peace!

January 13, 2006 8:46 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

All of these ladies tour on a regular basis. In fact, I caught Marcia Ball at three different festivals last summer and I was on my feet each time.

January 13, 2006 9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only meant, they haven't held up as well as Sylvia, looks wise. As for spirit, drive and joie du vivre, yes, they are enjoying life. The "spirit" age is measured in attitude rather than by Father time. In that respect, these fine ladies are as young and fresh as ever.

I have to leave the bus, now. I'm wishing everyone a verrrrry long ride filled with great music. Thanks for your toleration.

January 13, 2006 12:26 PM  
Blogger countrygrrl said...

thanks for intro to this sassy girrl whom i had not come across before. she can rock across my earphones any day...!!!!!

January 13, 2006 1:08 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Countrygrrl - thats what this is all about isn't it? You've turned me on to some great stuff also. Since radio sucks nowadays, this is how we get the word out on great artists.

Our Anonymous Friend - I hope this isn't goodbye! All of the riders on the Bus would surely miss your opinions and wit. You are welcome to stop by any time. May you have a good journey my friend.

January 13, 2006 8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it's goodbye. I don't like verrrrry long ones, so, Aloha, Bon voyage, auf Wiedersehen, Adios, Ciao, Sayonara, Ta ta, and most importantly, "see you on the next one", Ed.

January 14, 2006 1:25 AM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home