Monday, January 16, 2006

Rag Mama

Although most of his recordings were from a relatively short period, 1935 to 1940, Blind Boy Fuller was one of the most influential of the early Piedmont Blues musicians. A superb vocalist and master of the National steel guitar, Fuller recorded in many styles; slide, ragtime, pop, and blues. Much of his repertoire is kept alive by the great Piedmont Blues artists of today, such as Cephus & Wiggins.
It was his uptempo ragtime recordings backed by Bull City Red on washboard and kazoo that are favorites of mine.

Blind Boy Fuller - Rag Mama Rag

Blind Boy Fuller - Jitterbug Rag

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not quite off the bus yet, still dragging on the rear bumper. Just a verrrrry few days ago, I was thinking about Scott Joplin back in 1893 at the Chicago World's. I was going to ask you about posting some "rag" and here it is. You couldn't have done better. Blind Boy, Oh Red, Gary Davis, they all played well. Another shame Blind Boy left us so soon.

Whats the oldest ragtime recording you have, if I may ask before I lose my grip?

January 17, 2006 1:57 AM  
Anonymous Lucy said...

Weeee, that was fun, got me foot a tappin' & blood a flowin'. I did get a bit of a whiplash, was listening to Fogarty's Cove when I decided to open my eyes to see where the bus had landed.

January 17, 2006 9:02 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Well friend, I'm not quite sure which is the oldest. Since musical styles tend to evolve from other styles, it would be hard to pinpoint the earliest true Ragtime tune. Would you include a cakewalk, march or two-step? Even if I only consider strict Missouri-style Rags, such as those by Joplin or Turpin, I'm still not sure.

Wow! You've got the wheels turning now. I'll have to wade through my collection to see if I can come up with an answer (or two). Stay tuned.

BTW - Glad to see you are still riding with us.

January 17, 2006 9:08 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Lucy dear, fasten your seatbelt. We wouldn't want anyone hurt.

January 17, 2006 9:15 AM  
Anonymous Lucy said...

I'm a little scared to reach down in the seat to get them. ;)
Not to worry, I'll just hang on. You keep doing what you do best.

January 17, 2006 12:55 PM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home