Thursday, January 19, 2006

Pickin' Women - continued


Phyllis Boyens, singer and actress, is best remembered for her roll as Loretta Lynn's mother in the movie "Coal Miner's Daughter", but she has also had a successful singing career. She has sung with the Reel World String Band, folk legend Hazel Dickens, and recorded several songs for the "Coal Miming Women" cd. This cut is from the now out-of-print "I Really Care" lp from Rounder Records.

Mary Gilihan first played the Autoharp in fifth grade in east central Illinois. She performs with her husband, Robert, and their good friend Dave Smith as Harmony. This cut is from the great Autoharp Legacy 3 cd set.


Phyllis Boyens - The Last Old Shovel

Mary Gilihan - Fifty Miles of Elbow Room

Ya'll have a good weekend!

7 Comments:

Blogger Rob Hutten said...

Great tracks! Thanks.

For a very different take on "Fifty Miles of Elbow Room": Long Sought Home

January 20, 2006 1:01 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Thanks Rob, I'll check it out.

January 20, 2006 3:24 PM  
Blogger Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Highly libertarian me sure likes the look of the poster of the radical old gal. Care to tell us the story behind that?

January 20, 2006 9:12 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Mr. BNH, we seem to share more than a few interests. The poster is the logo of the National Federation of Women Workers (UK). Founded in 1906 to confederate the Women’s Trade Union League, Shop Assistants’ Union, and other women workers organizations. For more info try a search for either of the founding ladies: Mary Macarthur and Margaret Bondfield.

January 21, 2006 12:51 PM  
Blogger Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Thanks for the steer into the old days Ed. I like the way the children of the rich a century ago were not quite as guaranteed to become the snivelling shits the children of the well to do become today.

My philosophical undertow comes from Britain's William Godwin who was very popular about 100 years before MacArthur and Bondfield were active. Godwin's longtime partner and wife would have been an influence of the two young unionists I should think. Fred Woodworth from your country is also a lasting endurable influence.

I have not been involved with the affairs of my union for some time. That may soon change however.

January 22, 2006 6:31 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

I am well familliar with Mr. Godwin. I was not familiar with Fred Woodworth (I was educated in the US, something I strive to overcome), But from the little research I've done so far, I shall be looking into more.

January 23, 2006 1:37 PM  
Blogger Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Fred Woodworth's Match! journal is a work of art each and every time it is produced. I was very fortunate to discover his journal more than two decades ago. Fred would love to hear from you Ed. Only send cash or stamps if you want to make a donation. Tell him one of his Canadian readers sent you.

January 23, 2006 10:48 PM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home