Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Norman plays well with others


Norman Blake played with June Carter's road band, which led to his recording sessions with Johnny Cash and his inclusion in Cash's band for his 1969 summer TV show. His sessions with Johnny Cash led to his being asked to play on Bob Dylan's Nashville Skyline album. After touring and recording with Kris Kristofferson and then Joan Baez, he joined forces with John Hartford, Tut Taylor and Vassar Clements to record the progressive Aereo Plain album. Tut Taylor and Norman Blake have since collaborated on several projects.

One of the finest recordings of the era was an album put together on the spur of the moment by David Holland, recorded on one Saturday afternoon in Nashville. Simply titled Norman Blake / Tut Taylor / Sam Bush / Butch Robins / Vassar Clements / David Holland / Jethro Burns.

Blake/Taylor/Bush/Robins/Clements/Holland - McKinley's Blues - from Blake/Taylor/Bush/Robins/Clements/Holland/Burns (Flying Fish 1974)

Tut Taylor & Norman Blake - Bad Blake's Blues - from Tut Taylor's The Old Post Office (Flying Fish [approx]1971)

-Bonus File-
I don't normally take requests, but this is just too good a song not to post.
Jean Ritchie's song of a mining town after the mine has closed, has been recorded by June Carter, Johnny Cash, and countless others. Norman's rendition is, to me, the most moving.

Norman Blake - The L & N Don't Stop Here Anymore - from Directions (Takoma 1978)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, K. "Jethro" Burns. A verrrrry good mandolin player. I always liked Homer & Jethro (both Homers). What great music Burns helped make with Blake and the rest. True, this "The L & N..." version is the best I've heard. By the by, I still have a few days before my grip gives out.

January 25, 2006 1:42 AM  
Blogger countrygrrl said...

first version i heard was by michelle shocked...and i love all those train and mine songs so this selection is right up my alley. I have some hazel and alice on vinyl but dont have a working deck at the moment. thanks a bundle and a happy Burns Night to you from bonnie Scotland. I hope you are having some haggis and a wee dram!!!

January 25, 2006 4:58 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Thanks countrygrrl and a happy Burns Night back at ya. I'll pass on the haggis and have a wee bit more than a dram.

January 25, 2006 5:21 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

I haven't been on line much all week so I decided to mosey over to the Old Blue Bus and hit the mother lode when I did. I hate to admit I hadn't heard of Norman Blake before this. Thanks so much!

January 26, 2006 6:04 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Kat, your absence is understandable. Our hearts are with you.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Norman Blake. It is such a joy to share good music, even more so when you introduce someone to an artist they were not familliar with.

January 27, 2006 11:50 AM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home