Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Norman & Nancy's "Chamber-folk"


Norman And Nancy Blake are known for their preservation of the string band and old time music of the southern Appalachians. With both of them being talented multi-instrumentalists it was only natural that they would experiment with their sound and music. During the early and mid 1980s, they developed an old time parlor music sound with Norman on guitar, mandolin, and fiddle; Nancy on cello, fiddle, mandolin and single-row accordian; and their friend Charlie Collins on fiddle and second guitar. In 1981 they released Full Moon on the Farm under the name Norman Blake and the Rising Fawn String Ensemble. Critics loved the sound and took to calling it "Chamber-folk".

Norman & Nancy Blake - Forked Deer - from The Hobo's Last Ride (Shanachie 1996)

Norman Blake & the Rising Fawn String Ensemble - OBC #3 - from Full Moon on the Farm (Rounder 1981) OBC #3 is the third variation of the song "The Old Brown Case", first recorded on the Fields of November album.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Life has been too full of hockey and mischief for me to listen to more than a song or two of Blake's yet. I have downloaded them all though because the NGDB Unbroken Circle album was what drew me into the music from way down there in America when I found a used copy many years ago. Anybody who was good enough to rock it with that crowd has to be special.

I was showing my visiting brother-in-law some of the coolest music internet journals I have discovered recently when he pointed out the dreaded 2+2 site listed with your other advisable sidetrips. I am tickled as any outport b'y with a full net, a good woman and an uncorked bottle of Screech could be. Chimo.

January 29, 2006 7:42 PM  
Anonymous Lucy said...

Mr. BNH, I read your entries most every day as I'm listening to Ed's postings. Ed has clarified some of the terminology for me from your site, and I've really enjoyed it. Yea, our Ausies enjoy a good roll in the cow excrement, but love the chicken guano!

January 30, 2006 8:44 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

That link has been there since I found 2+2 just before Christmas. I too read all of your entries, though usually in the evening after a couple of snifters.

I figured that perhaps a few of the riders on the bus would enjoy Mr. BNH's observations of Dope City. Even if I must translate some of it for a Virginia farm girl.

January 31, 2006 8:38 AM  
Anonymous Lucy said...

If it weren't for USA Volleyball Nationals, I'd never get out of VA and off the farm!! Thank God occasionally I can meet friends for a few beers and hear of their travels.

January 31, 2006 9:04 AM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home