Monday, January 23, 2006

Norman and the Railroad

While preparing yesterday's post and listening to my Norman Blake collection, it occurred to me that I could post two songs by Norman Blake every day for nearly two years and only post songs from his own albums!

I've decided to comb through my collection and devote this week to Norman Blake. As it turns out, this is not as easy as I first thought. I have 32 albums by Norman Blake and that doesn't include his collaborations with others, such as those with Tut Taylor, Red Rector, or John Hartford's Aereo Plain.

Norman Blake grew up in Sulphur Springs, Georgia up the hillside from the train depot. The trains were a big part of his life and have played a major role in his music.


Norman Blake - Southern Railroad Blues - from Fields of November (Rounder 1974)

Norman Blake - Slow Train Through Georgia - from Whiskey Before Breakfast (Rounder 1976)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The title of this post got me all excited, but no luck. So I'm requesting my favorite Norman Blake song- "The L&M Don't Stop Here Anymore."

January 23, 2006 11:09 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Choosing which songs to post was not an easy task. I have to agree that of the dozens of people who have covered Jean Ritchie's "The L & N Don't Stop Here Anymore", Norman's version is the most moving. I could argue that it is a mining song more than a train song. That aside, it is an excellent song.

I do not usually do requests, but I may have to make an exception here. I already have the rest of this week (loosely) planned and have limited bandwidth to consider. So please bear with me. I may have to extend this series into next week! Check back, I'll see what I can do.

January 24, 2006 9:27 AM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home