Monday, January 02, 2006

A Happy Yodel

Happy New Year, Folks!
What better way to start this new year off than with a rousing yodel!

While the idea of the yodeling cowboy is pure Hollywood, that's what most of us raised on black and white westerns think of when someone mentions yodeling (as if yodeling comes up in normal conversation!).
Yodeling (or something similar) is more common around the world than most folks realize. Perhaps, sometime in the coming year I'll put together an intelligent post on yodeling, but for now I'm just going to nurse this bottle of gin and kick back to a little yodeling goodness.
Pull up a chair and have a snort, I think you'll enjoy.

Sorry about the quality of the first two, they were pulled from some scratchy old 78s.

Jimmie Rodgers - The Brakeman's Blues
The "father of country music" left us in 1933, but he's got a website

Roy Harper and Earl Shirkey - The Yodeling Mule
complete recorded works available from Document Records

The Girls of the Golden West - My Love Is A Rider (Bucking Bronco)
read more here

Jill Jones and the Lone Star Chorale - Mockingbird Yodel
rope some more here

Randy Erwin - The Alpine Milkman
mosey on by cowboyrandy.com

Bill Staines - Ballad of the Maples (live)
Bill is a favorite on the Bus. Visit him here

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just want to say Happy New Year
to all of the bus riders

Joey

January 03, 2006 9:18 AM  
Blogger Reverend Frost said...

Happy New year and yeeeehaa !

January 03, 2006 1:06 PM  
Blogger Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Cannot see how you can keep the bus on the road with all that yo-yo-yodeling going on. Only the dog will like it when I start singing along with these hillbillies in the car.

January 03, 2006 7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, say Happy New Year to the blue bus riders and the driver. 2005 was a verrrrry tough year for me and I'm looking for a decidedly better 2006.

I enjoy pure Alpine yodeling. Never could get too excited about the cowboy kind. Is that the noise they make on Brokeback Mountain?

January 03, 2006 8:24 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Happy New Year all.

By the response, I'd say we've had our alottment of yodeling for the year! Funny, it sounded better as I got closer to the bottom of that bottle.

I had always wondered where Hollywood got the yodeling cowboy. Our anonymous friend may be on to something, but I don't care to know anymore.

I hope the new year brings mostly good to you all.

January 03, 2006 10:33 PM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home