Thursday, December 01, 2005

Albert Cummings


So far this week we've taken a look at some white country guitarists who were influenced by the blues. Like Riley Puckett, Albert Cummings started on the 5 string banjo. He remembers, "I’d go to bluegrass festivals and watch the main stage acts. The fun though was at night when I could wander through the campgrounds, and there’d be a jam session every 100 feet." And like Puckett, Cummings made the transition to guitar. The seed was planted when he was 16 or 17 and a brother-in-law gave him tapes of Stevie Ray Vaughan during the Texas Flood period. "It’s got to be some freak thing. How could anybody play guitar like that? I used to listen to these tapes over and over," he says.
A personal epiphany occurred in 1987, when he wandered into a Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble show at Boston's Orpheum Theater. "That first time I saw them play, I was riveted. I had never experienced anything that intensely powerful in my life."
On his CD "From the Heart" he is backed by Vaughan’s full Double Trouble lineup of Chris Layton, Tommy Shannon and Reese Winans.

Albert Cummings - Regular Man

Albert Cummings - Tell It Like It Is

0 Comments:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home