Sunday, October 30, 2005

Just another workin' Joe

Monday and it's back to making a living.
I overheard my son once tell his friends as they were discussing college and career plans, "My Dad enjoys what he does for a living, he just doesn't like who he does it for." It made me think.
He's right, of course, I do enjoy what I do. My chosen career has been very good to me all in all. I have worked on some good projects, seen most of North America, made some great friends, and had one hell of a good time along the way.
Everywhere I've travelled I've met people who have spent their whole lives in one place. I've often wondered how different my life would have been if I had found a job close to my hometown and spent my journey through life on the same soil. I suppose there is something to be said for it, but it's just not for me. My wife used to joke that I was ready to move on once I'd learned all of the backroads to and from the jobsite. I suppose I've got a little gypsy blood in me.


Cheryl Wheeler is a long-time favorite of mine. This cut is from her Sylvia Hotel CD on Philo Records.
Cheryl Wheeler - His Hometown

Kate McDonnell from her Broken Bones release on Waterbug Records
Kate McDonnell - Ordinary Man

John_Gorka recorded for The Silverwolf Homeless Project
">John Gorka - The Gypsy Life

2 Comments:

Anonymous Lucy said...

Damn, you're good. I'm back in the gazebo days, where I long to be again! You selected 3 of my 5 favorite artists that you turned me onto back then. Thanks, I needed this trip back in time.

October 31, 2005 10:33 AM  
Blogger Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

I like the line of your son's about not liking who you work for but liking what you do.
After being off work for a few months it has been good to get back at it. I think I even missed the evil attitude of the management. Sucks to be them!

January 24, 2006 11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home