Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Good times and good friends

Autoharp virtuoso, Bryan Bowers claims that when you learn a song, you have a friend for life. There are times, usually when I'm feeling particuarly good, that certain songs from long ago, come out of the shadows to share the good times like good friends.
I'm not talking about your run-of-the-mill, "boy, it sure is a nice day" kind of good feelings. These songs wait for those rare times when I am at peace with all living things. When no amount of rain could spoil my parade. When that youthful bounce returns to my walk for no apparent reason. I know you've been there too. It's a most wonderful feeling!
As I get closer to a half-century on this planet, I find I'm having more of those times. I've accepted the hand I've been dealt and I'm still in the game. Life has been good. Not at all as I had planned it, but I wouldn't trade any of it. Maybe I'm just more easily amused.
When I'm in that special place, there are certain songs that always seem to be there also. I've got two such "friends" that have been there for decades. I'd like to share them with you, because my human friends have so much to do with my song friends being around as much as they are lately.

Taj Mahal - Cakewalk Into Town
From his 1972 album "Recycling The Blues And Other Related Stuff".
Taj Mahal-Cakewalk into Town

Harry McClintock - Hallejujah I'm a Bum
I actually learned this song from an album by Utah Phillips. This is from the original 1926 recording by Harry McClintock.
Harry McClintock - Hallejujah I'm a Bum

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed you know your right about the
music when you learn a song you do
have a friend for life. And like
friends they do come up missing for
a while but if we are lucky we find
one another again. Hallejujah Im a
bum is one of those long lost freinds that I havent heard in many
years but thanks to the OLD BLUE BUS we are together again

Joey

October 05, 2005 7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home