Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Between the Blue Ridge & Chesapeake Bay

Yesterday the bus made a quick run south on I-95 to North Carolina. Today we will travel around my home state a bit. Virginia has added a substantial and diverse amount of music to the American earscape. The Carter Family, The Stanley Brothers, Cephas & Wiggins....


Page Wilson is a local folk icon. From his "Home in the Chickahominy Swamp" Page Wilson hosts the 'Out O' the Blue Radio Revue' on 88.9FM WCVE, where he spins what he calls "Purebred American Mongrel" music, an eclectic blend of blues, folk, bluegrass, cajun, country and whatever else "feels good". Virginia was Page Wilson's submittal when the Commonwealth was thinking of changing the official state song. These days it is the theme song that welcomes listeners to his radio program every Saturday night. I think it would have made a fitting state song. Special thanks to Lucy for giving me this CD several years ago. Get your own copy here.

Page Wilson with Reckless Abandon - Virginia


Jim & Jesse McReynolds have been staples of the bluegrass world since 1947. In 2000 they recorded a collection of 4/4 shuffle country standards from the 1950's with The Opry Stage Band. Available from Pinecastle Records

Jim & Jesse - Under Your Spell Again

Note: I've added a link to WebJay (bottom right on this page) for those of you who are tired of my ramblings and just want to hear the music.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ed said...

Joey and Lucy, (I think you are the only two who visit here) check out the WebJay button. You can listen to all the music on the bus without having to load each song. Of course if you want to download the file you still have to click on it.
Give me some feedback on the tunes I've been posting, anything you want to hear? and direction you want me to go?

October 27, 2005 9:25 AM  
Anonymous Lucy said...

Ed, Glad to see you're through the "big legged woman" theme from a week or so ago, I'm self-conscious about that. I love the selection/variety you've been posting and the background on the artists. I sure miss just walking into your cube and checking out the wide variety (sometimes bizzare variety) of CD's; I guess this is the next best thing. Keep 'em coming Dear!

October 28, 2005 9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home