Monday, October 17, 2005

Autoharpoholic

I've owned several Autoharps for over 25 years. Only recently did I get serious about learning to play the thing. My interest in the Autoharp goes back to the first time I ever heard Bryan Bowers play. It's a strange affliction to a strange instrument. In the right hands, the Autoharp is a beautiful and rich instrument.
A little over a year ago, Autoharp masters Mark Howard, Ron Wall, and Bryan Bowers got 55 of the best Autoharp players in the world together and recorded the Autoharp Legacy 3 CD set.
Turn it up and give this over-looked instrument a listen.

A fun song. "Autoharpoholic" was the name of a now defuct magazine for Autoharp enthusiasts.
Tom Chapin and John McCutcheon - Autoharp-o-holic

A great duet. Two exceptionally played Autoharps, no other instrumentation required.
Gove Scrivenor and Will Smith - Ghost Riders in the Sky

Karen Mueller - Dirty Linen says "She's taking the autoharp into new and exciting territory." Hard to believe this is one person and one instrument.
Karen Mueller - Merrily Kiss the Quaker

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you hit it right on the
head the autoharp does the trick
today

Joey

October 17, 2005 4:19 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Thanks Joey, It usually does it for me!

October 17, 2005 8:50 PM  
Anonymous http://www.fertileprayers.blogspot.com said...

I just searched for Merrily Kiss a Quaker, and since I spent a whole week-end with Quakers, I looked it up. There are some baudy songs related! Shock!

I would like to hear this song, so I may as well buy the 3 CD's.

Thanks for this site, and the info. My site is http://www.kudzus.blogspot.com and I have one song that I sing on the autoharp (August) called Kudzu Covered Land.

June 05, 2008 8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home